Team of the week. Guinness Pro 14 League. Week 17
After a few weeks absence due to Six Nations, games called off etc, finally we are back following a round of matches involving all four Welsh sides in action. Good wins for Cardiff Blues and the Ospreys, and two losses for the Scarlets and the Dragons.
Looking at the fixtures and the individual performances from this round of games, here are the selections.
15/ Dan Evans – Ospreys. Two tries from the reliable fullback in a strong display.
14/ Blaine Scully – Cardiff Blues. The fan favourite at Cardiff Arms Park put in another strong all-around performance.
13. Kieron Fonotia – Ospreys. The New Zealander showed some lovely touches and will be really interesting next season to see how he goes at the Scarlets.
12. Paul Asquith – Scarlets. Another really impressive performance from this utility back.
11. Steff Evans – Scarlets. In a losing side, the left winger yet again showed what a talent he is with the ball in hand.
10. Jarrod Evans – Cardiff Blues. Outstanding performance from the 10 against Ulster. So dangerous with the ball in hand. Will be interesting to see next weekend for the European quarter-final in Edinburgh, do they bring Anscombe back in at 10, or has Evans done enough to start, and Anscombe makes do with playing 15? Big call.
9. Tom Habberfield – Ospreys. A player who has not played much this season but is a very good player when fit and on form.
1. Nicky Smith – Ospreys. Is in a fine run of form is the prop, and was very good again against Leinster.
2. Kristian Dacey – Cardiff Blues. An early replacement for the unfortunate Matthew Rees. Dacey was excellent in the set piece plus scored a try.
3. Dmitri Arhip – Ospreys. Another strong display from the Moldovan.
4. Cory Hill – Dragons. In another disappointing showing from the Dragons, the Welsh international shone above all his team-mates.
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys. Outstanding performance from an outstanding player. Great, he is staying in Wales to play his club rugby. A player to be cherished.
6. Josh Turnbull – Cardiff Blues. Season plighted by injuries but the back five forward is fit and in form just in time for the end of season run for the Cardiff Blues.
7. Justin Tipuric – Ospreys. Stunning performance from the back rower. His skill levels are of the highest order. Easily could play in the midfield at a high level. Was just on fire against Leinster.
8. Nick Williams – Cardiff Blues. Loved playing against his former club, and performed really well. Has lasted the season better than I originally thought, full credit to him.
So there you have the team for this week. Agree/Disagree? Let us know.